Thursday 16 June 2011

Research on soaps

From my mind map it is quite clear that I needed to research more into soaps, I needed to look at such things as the demographic group soaps are aimed at and also more facts into the generic conventions of a soap opera.

To research I chose a soap that I was familiar with and analysed what I saw to decide which demographic group, age and even gender that I felt this soap was aimed at.

The soap I chose to analyse was Eastenders.

I have embeded the link of the episode of Eastenders that I analysed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b011y3cl/

I analysed my research into different groups;

Ethnicity - There is no certian ethnicity that this soap is aimed towards there is use of all ethnicitys in the show so it is equal.

Age - The age I feel that this soap is aimed towards is teens upwards, the storylines create verisimilartude with both teenagers and adults through the use of characters there are various storylines that aim towards different age groups depending on the characters used in that storyline.

Location - The location is set in the East end of London, this creates verisimilartude mainly towards lower demogrpahic groups with the use of market stalls and seen as 'lower class' jobs.

Gender - There is a mixture of storylines in this soap that aim towards both the male and female gender, there are storylines involving babys that are mainly aimed towards the female gender creating verisimilartude and stereotypical guidelines as to what women enjoy to watch compared to some storylines involving violence which are aimed more towards the male gender as this follows stereotypical guidelines of what the male gender enjoy to see, so this soap is aimed both towards the male and female gender depending on the storylines there is usually a mixture of both storylines at the same time so that the show is always aimed at both genders.

Demogrpahic groups - From the use of the language used (resticted code) it will create verisimilartude towards the lower demographic groups also the storylines are more likely to appeal to the lower demographic groups because of the jobs that the characters have and the way they see certain things compared to a higher class demographic group.

No comments:

Post a Comment